Mud- and landslides are a destructive and lethal force. In the event a landslide or mudslide occurs, it is always important to have a plan of action for both during the slide and afterwards. If you live in an area prone to slides, you should take the time to get prepared. An emergency kit is always a good idea regardless of where you live.
2. Power Up: The ability to communicate with emergency personnel or family is crucial. All major phone manufacturers have external emergency power supplies available now. They are a priceless addition to your emergency kit.
3. First Aid: Make sure to include essentials such as bandages, antibacterial wipes, aspirin, gauze and athletic tape. It should also include any medications needed by you or a family member. A solid premade kit such as the National Outdoor Leadership School 4.0 kit is a great investment! (nols.edu)
4. Multi-Tool: These utilitarian tools provide many tools in one pocket-sized package. Leatherman carries a variety of rugged models to fit your needs and the available space. (leatherman.com)
5. Digging Out: A lightweight but durable folding shovel may be needed to dig yourself out in the aftermath of a landslide. A solid choice is the lightweight, compact Glock Entrenching Tool. (us.glock.com)
6. Meeting Spot: Have an emergency plan for the entire family. It is best to have a designated meeting area in the event an evacuation is required. Choose a location that will be safe and clear from the affected area.
7. Immunize: Keep your tetanus shots up to date. Even small puncture wounds during slides can lead to serious infections.
8. Stay In Tune: Listen to emergency updates on the slide and follow official directions.
9. Stay Away: Don’t drive into slide areas. Dangerous debris can be everywhere and damage your vehicle to the point where it will not run. Do not walk through slide areas. Much of the ground may still be loose and contain open pockets. The chance of injury is very high.
To learn more, check out the upcoming Summer 2015 issue of SURVIVOR’S EDGE, available on newsstands and digitally April 7, 2015. To subscribe, go to http://www.realworldsurvivor.com/subscribe