Looking for ways to upgrade your outdoor space? A garden with mulch may be the thing you’re missing. Check out these 10 reasons why you should garden with mulch and use it for your outdoor landscape.
- RELATED STROY: Mulch Mastery: How to Revamp Your Garden
- RELATED STORY: Compost Cookery: How To Get A Gardener’s ‘Black Gold’
1. Mulch suppresses weeds.
2. Acting like an insulator, it protects roots from fluctuating and extreme environmental temperatures.
3. Mulch retains moisture in soil.
4. As a buffer, mulch prevents soil compaction from footsteps and equipment.
5. Mulch prevents erosion from wind and water.
- RELATED STROY: 12 Permaculture Gardening Secrets
- RELATED STORY: Garden Goofs: How To Avoid 7 Common Gardening Mistakes
6. During warm weather, mulch prevents evaporation from the soil.
7. Inorganic mulch can act as a permanent ground cover.
8. Organic mulch is slowly broken down into humus.
9. Organic mulch increases soil nutrients and biodiversity as it decomposes.
10. Mulch adds visual appeal to any garden or home landscape.
- RELATED STROY: Tips For Building An Urban Mini-Farm
- RELATED STORY: Soil Building Techniques Using Mulches And Fertilizers
This article was originally published in The NEW PIONEER™ Fall 2015 issue. Subscription is available in print and digital editions here.