Fruit jars are not only functional but are also beautiful storage containers. If you’ve made homemade gifts for the holidays, what better way to present them but in a colorfully topped jar? With just a few supplies, it’s easy to make the perfect packaging. For this project, you will need canning jar bands, spray paint, newspaper and quilting or fabric squares (optional).
- RELATED STORY: 10 Thrifty DIY Home Improvement Projects
- RELATED STORY: DIY: How to Repurpose An Old Wine Barrel
Colors are so much fun to play with! I like to find ideas for color themes in the pre-cut quilting squares in my local fabric store. I choose my paint colors based on the fabric squares. You can always make your own squares or circles using regular scissors or pinking shears. When choosing spray paint, make sure that it is made for use on metal surfaces.
1. Lay out lots of newspaper to ensure easy cleanup.
2. Shake spray paint cans well, and spray from approximately 6 inches away from the bands. Apply at least two layers of paint, allowing bands to dry between applications (make sure you paint the top and sides evenly).
3. Move bands from newspaper before they are completely dry. Otherwise, they will stick together.
4. Try layering colors. Spray a light coat on the tops with another color. Experiment on wet and dry undercoats.
5. Pick up wet bands by putting your thumb and index finger inside the band. You may want to wear a pair of latex gloves when handling them.
6. Allow lids and bands to dry for several hours before using.
7. Do this project outside or in a well-ventilated room.
You can also paint canning lids, but don’t use them for hot water or pressure canning. If paint gets on the rubber seals, they won’t work properly.
- RELATED STORY: Craft A Berry-Picking Gourd
- RELATED STORY: Making Your Own Rustic Furniture With Repurposed Wood
This article was originally published in The NEW PIONEER™ Winter 2016 issue. Subscription is available in print and digital editions here.