Hobby and specialty farms growing vegetables, fruits and organics are on the rise as individuals become more aware of the importance of being self-sufficient and eating nutritious food. Specialty acreages are springing up from coast to coast. This past winter we sent an Allis Chalmers Model 60 All Crop pull-type combine from here in Minnesota to California to be used for organic farming. These combines from the 1940s and 1950s have rubber cylinder bars and rubber concave bars that are more gentle on the crop being harvested, whether it be edible beans or wildflower seeds.

To get to the point of a good harvest, the ground usually needs some type of tillage prior to planting and during the growing season. We covered the walk-behind tillers in a previous issue of The New Pioneer. This tillage article will look at farming from 1 acre to 50 acres. To till soil on larger acreages, you need not only various tilling tools, but also a fine-running tractor to pull the implements that do the work. Earlier implements were available as ground lift (also called mechanical lift) models. The operator pulls a trip rope by hand from the seat of the tractor while the tractor is moving. One or both wheels lift the implement out of the ground as well as lower it.

Tillage Implements
There is no law that says you have to have a Ford disk hooked up to a Ford tractor. You can mix or match brands as you wish. Sometimes implement availability or price dictates what you buy. Remember to match the size of implement correctly to the size of the tractor.

Up Next

How To Make The Most From Sustainable Woodlots

From growing to felling, dragging to selling, use our pro's guide to working your...