Hurricane Joaquin is a Category 3 hurricane and may hit the East Coast, according to The Weather Channel. FEMA’s mobile app is offering tips on how to prepare for a hurricane and weather alerts for up to five locations.
- RELATED STORY: Hurricane Joaquin Approaches the East Coast
- RELATED STORY: Before The Storm – FEMA’s 16 Hurricane Preparation Tips
According to FEMA’s website the app features include:
- Alerts from the National Weather Service: Receive severe weather alerts for up to five locations across the U.S. and see information about how to stay safe.
- Disaster Reporter: Upload and share photos of damage and recovery efforts.
- Custom emergency safety information: Save a custom list of the items in your family’s emergency kit, as well as the places you will meet in case of an emergency.
- Maps of disaster resources: Locate and receive driving directions to open shelters and disaster recovery centers.
- Safety tips: Learn how to stay safe before, during, and after over 20 types of hazards, including floods, hurricanes, tornadoes and earthquakes.
- Apply for assistance: Easily access DisasterAssistance.gov to apply for federal disaster assistance.
- Information in Spanish: The app defaults to Spanish language content for smartphones that have Spanish set as their default language.
- RELATED STORY: FEMA Releases Severe Weather Preparation Toolkit
FEMA’s mobile app is available for Apple, Android and Blackberry devices. To download the app, visit http://www.fema.gov/mobile-app. The app can also be downloaded via text:
- If you have an Apple device: Text APPLE to 43362 (4FEMA)
- If you have an Android device: Text ANDROID to 43362 (4FEMA)
- If you have a Blackberry device: Text BLACKBERRY to 43362 (4FEMA)
You can also download FEMA’s PDF guide, “How to Prepare for A Hurricane,” here.
- RELATED STORY: When a Hurricane Hits: FEMA’s 18 Must Do’s
- RELATED STORY: Hurricane IQ: Learn the Terms with FEMA’s Official Hurricane Primer
If Hurricane Joaquin hits the East Coast, it will have more intense rainfall than...
by Real World Survivor Editor / Oct 1, 2015