Every family needs to take these measures to make sure everyone gets out of a house fire alive.
- RELATED STORY: How to Survive a Wildfire
- RELATED STORY: 22 Ways to Prevent a House Fire
- RELATED STORY: How to Escape Killer Firestorms
- RELATED STORY: 10 Ways To Protect Your Home From Deadly Wildfires
Step 1: When you get out of your bed, you’ve got to stay very low, so try to crawl on the floor.
Step 2: Before opening any door, check it for heat using your hands.
Step 3: As you’re going down a staircase, you want to feel the wall for direction so you can get down the stairs quicker.
Step 4: Have one fire escape ladder in every upstairs bedroom mounted on a window to help family members escape safely. Fire ladders like the Kidde brand fire ladder can be purchased from Home Depot for as little as $35.
Step 5: Once you’re out, stay out. Never go back into a burning home.
- RELATED STORY: 14 Fire Safety Tips For Seniors
- RELATED STORY: 10 Ways To Fireproof Your Home
- RELATED STORY: 7 Tips For Surviving Roadside Wildfire Threats
- RELATED STORY: House Fire Survival: FEMA’s 28-Point Guide to Living Through a Deadly Conflagration
Source: KPRC 2 News
This article was originally published in the SURVIVOR’S EDGE™ Winter 2016 edition. Subscription is available in print and digital editions here.
Learn how to help you and your community escape the deadly fury of a...
by Laura Lancaster / Nov 24, 2015