Because are no prerequisites for this class, it doesn’t matter if you’re an outdoor professional, super competitive adventurer or just someone looking for a way to improve their navigation skills. This course will help to ensure that you never get lost again. It will teach you to navigate by map and compass in the wilderness and boost your confidence as you continue to move long distances with more precision.
What You’ll Learn:
- How to use a compass
- How to read topographical maps
- How to determine your location using resection and other proven methods
- How to navigate from one point on a map to another using a combination of equipment and techniques
- How to navigate in the hours of darkness
- How make field expedient navigation equipment
- Basic cartography
- GPS considerations
- A baseplate compass, preferably with a luminous capsule for night navigation.
- Appropriate clothing and footwear for walking cross-country in the wilderness
- A flashlight
- A hydration source
- Lumicolor fine tip pens a pencil
- Notebook or pad for notes
- A whistle
The tuition for this course is $400 and requires that students bring their own equipment in order to complete it. However, MagpulCore does have some loaner equipment that may be used in case students are unable to obtain or lose their own.
- RELATED STORY: Lost & Found: Wilderness Survival Tips & Techniques
- RELATED STORY: 12 Survival Tips From Woodsman’s Almanac
Cheyenne and Sean join forces to optimize their farm’s sustainable assets.
by Lyn Howard / Feb 26, 2016