goat, petting zoo, feeding, hand
Patryk Sobczak
 Comment(s)

Four children have been infected with E. coli at a petting zoo after visiting the county fair in San Diego, California. One boy, a two-year-old, died from the infection.

The children infected ranged between ages 2 and 13. Their infections have been linked to contact with animals at the San Diego County Fair, the county said in a statement last week.

Three of the children did not have to go to the hospital. But the youngest, a 2-year-old boy, died from the disease at a hospital Monday.
All four children visited animal areas or the petting zoo, which have been closed to the public since the reports, the county said.

E. Coli at Petting Zoo

Symptoms of E. coli can include stomach cramps, diarrhea and vomiting. Some infections are mild, but others can be life-threatening. People of all ages can be infected, but young children and the elderly are more likely to develop severe symptoms. The city asked that anyone who had symptoms on or after June 8 report it to a health care provider.
The types of E. coli that can cause illness can be transmitted through contaminated water or food, or through contact with people or animals.
Most people with a Shiga-toxin-producing E. Coli (STEC) infection start feeling sick after three to five days from exposure. That exposure could be from drinking or eating something that contains the bacteria.
The most important step in preventing a STEC infection is to practice good hand washing hygiene. This is especially true after contact with animals or their environment.

For the most recent copy of Survivor’s Edge or American Frontiersman or to subscribe, go to OutdoorGroupStore.com

Up Next

34 Post-Disaster Health Issues and Fighting Diseases!

Fighting diseases and disaster health issues during and after cataclysmic events is an important topic...